Bonnyrigg Rose Promoted To Scottish Women's League One

Last updated : 11 June 2023 By ed_Scottish Fitba

Bonnyrigg Rose have secured promotion to the national leagues after surprising SWFL West winners Harmony Row with a 4-0 victory in the play-off final.

The Midlothian side coped better with muggy conditions in Airdrie to win 4-0, with goals from Erin Carter, Saffron McCabe, Caitlin Lowe and skipper Dani Manson as well as a heroic performance by keeper Erin Rodgers, who saved a Claire Rae penalty late in the first half and was called into action several times in the second.

C:WindowsTempphpF32D.tmpHarmony Row went in to the final game of the Scottish Women’s Football pyramid as favourites, after winning the Biffa SWFL West comfortably, but were missing some key players against a young side who had fought back in their first play-off against Forfar Farmington and started this second chance tie maintaining similar levels of pace and drive.

Talismanic Harmony Row forward Rae was restricted to long range efforts for much of the game, and left frustrated by Rodgers and the Rose defence.

Bonnyrigg Rose now follow Forfar Farmington and Queen of the South to move from the regional leagues to take a spot in the national set-up in a league which includes Falkirk, Stenhousemuir and St Mirren, Edinburgh Caledonia and Grampian Ladies, Airdrie Ladies, Giffnock Soccer Centre, BSC Glasgow and Dundee West, and which proved highly competitive in its inaugural season.

In Alloa, nearly 400 attended the 18s cross-regional cup finals, sponsored by scholarship partners FirstPoint USA.

C:WindowsTempphp1DFD.tmpGlasgow City 18s dev team won the FirstPoint USA West cup, winning an all-Glasgow final against Glasgow Girls 18s 4-1. Glasgow Girls had pegged city back at half time thanks to a Bailey Cooper equaliser, but City proved too strong in the second half to lift yet more silverware this season for the giant of women’s football in Scotland.

C:WindowsTempphpDE12.tmpIn the FirstPoint USA East cup final, Jeanfield Swifts 18s were 3-0 up after 70 minutes and had to see off an exciting fightback by Penicuik Athletic to lift the silverware. Penicuik scored in the 90th minute and battled to send the final into extra time but were denied by the final whistle.