Hafnarfjordur 2 Dunfermline 2

Last updated : 13 August 2004 By Meganjack

Dunfermline managed to salvage a draw against part-timers Hafnarfjordur in Reykjavik thanks to late goals from Craig Brewster and Andrius Skerla. Brewster headed a vital away goal after 72 minutes after Dunfermline had trailed by two goals at half-time. Skerla waited till only three minutes were left on the clock to save the Pars' blushes as he bundled home an equaliser after a Richie Byrne effort had come back off the crossbar. Hafnarfjordur hit the woodwork twice in the second half and could have made this a miserable return to European football for Dunfermline after a 34-year absence.

Dunfermline took an early grip on the game but they were caught out on the counter-attack when Atli Bjornsson gave Derek Stillie some concern with a rising shot which was just too high. It was a warning Dunfermline did not heed and they lost two goals in a sloppy four-minute spell. The lively Emil Hallfredson carved out the first after 19 minutes when he raced to the by-line before cutting the ball back for Jonas Gardarsson to beat Stillie with a well-struck shot. Before Dunfermline had time to settle, the Icelandic league leaders struck again. This time Gudmundur Saevarsson forced Stillie into the save and Danish striker Allan Borgvardt was alert enough to knock home the loose ball. Hafnarfjordur gathered confidence from the goals and a cross from Baldur Bett was just too strong for Borgvardt as they threatened a third goal. Dunfermline improved towards half-time and Dadi Larusson did well to block a header from Noel Hunt. The goalkeeper excelled a minute from the break when Hunt produced a fine cross which was met by the head mof Andy Tod and Larusson managed to divert the ball for a corner.

Dunfermline changed things at half-time with Darren Young and Brewster replacing Dempsey and Tod respectively but there was no immediate turning of the tide. Instead, it was Hafnarfjordur who came within inches of a third goal. Substitute Jon Stefansson beat Stillie with a terrific right-foot shot which struck the post before Hallfredsson shot the rebound wide. There was some hope for Dunfermline when Hunt set up Gary Mason and his shot was parried by Larusson and the goalkeeper recovered to knock the ball away from the loitering Brewster. But the home side always looked the more likely and Stillie had to be at his best to beat out another effort from Stefansson. Brewster then headed Dunfermline's first goal from a cross by Greg Shields to give the Scots hope and there was a let-off late on when Stefansson headed against the underside of the crossbar from close in. But Skerla had the final say to earn Dunfermline a draw.

Hafnarfjordur: Larusson, Saevarsson, Sverrir Gardarsson, Nielsen, Bjarnason, Atli Vldar Bjornsson, Jonas Grani Gardarsson (Karkov 82), Bett (Vitarsson 73), Borgvardt (Stefansson 45), Gudjonsson, Hallfredsson.
Subs Not Used: Halldorsson, Astthorsson, Armann Smari Bjornsson, Asgeirsson.
Goals: Jonas Grani Gardarsson 18, Borgvardt 21 Booked: Sverrir Gardarsson

Dunfermline: Stillie, Shields, Scott Wilson, Skerla, Byrne, Nicholson, Mason, Dempsey (Darren Young 45), Scott Thomson (Donnelly 71), Tod (Brewster 45), Hunt.
Subs Not Used: Langfield, Lyle, Labonte, Mehmet.
Goals: Brewster 72, Skerla 87 Booked: Darren Young.

Attendance: 1,500

: Jouni Hyytia (Finland)

Editorial Team

Ger Harley (ger@scottishfitba.net)
Vanderhogg (vanderhogg@scottishfitba.net)
Dink (dink@scottishfitba.net)