Germany b v Scotland b

Last updated : 17 December 2002 By BBC

Scotland's future team fought back twice against their German counterparts (known as Team 2006) in Mainz but a late goal foiled their hopes of victory. Berti Vogts young side went behind to a goal from Stuttgart's Kevin Kuranyi after only 14 minutes. But Scotland's Kevin Kyle equalised just before half-time. The Germans took the lead again on the hour mark but within a minute Stephen Hughes had restored parity. Rangers' defender Bob Malcolm gave Scotland the lead with four minutes to go but Alexander Voigt snatched a late equaliser for the Germans.

It was the Germans who enjoyed much of the possession in the opening spell of the game. And although some frailties in their defence were exposed early on they enjoyed the first chance of the game. A free-kick a few yards outside the corner of the 18 yard box allowed them to test the Scots and skipper Fabian Ernst was not far away when he fired just inches over the crossbar after five minutes. Germany's best chances were coming from set-pieces and Nico Frommer tried his luck from 35 yards but he pulled the shot wide and the effort never troubled goalkeeper Paul Gallacher.

Scotland had to wait 15 minutes for their first chance at goal when Dundee's Gavin Rae supplied the cross from the right wing to be met by Kyle. But the Sunderland striker nodded just wide. The home side opened the scoring after 14 minutes when Markus Daun played the ball into the path of Kuranyi who slotted home from just outside the six yard box. Germany were visibly boosted by this and they continued to put the Scots defence under pressure. Kuranyi had the chance to add to his tally following a free-kick from Voigt but the effort was deflected and the opportunity was lost.

Ten minutes before the break, Daniel Bierofka was allowed to run unmarked into the box. He unleashed a powerfull shot but the ball was easily held by Scotland goalkeeper Gallacher. But just two minutes later, the Scots missed a great chance to level the scoreline. Stephen Glass curled the ball into the path of Kyle who produced a great header but he was denied by an equally impressive save from goalkeeper Simon Jentzsch. But the keeper was powerless to prevent Scotland drawing level after 43 minutes. Kyle's downward header was blocked by Christoph Preuss but he succeeded only in knocking the ball back into the path of the determined striker who shot home.

The Germans started the second half determined to reclaim the lead they had lost just before the interval. Daun could have netted five minutes after the restart but his effort was blocked by Gary Caldwell. Minutes later Ernst tried to pick out Bierofka for a header at the back post but again Caldwell managed to clear. The German side took the lead again just before the hour mark thanks to Alexander Meier. The lead was not to last and Scotland fought back again within 60 seconds. Substitute Hughes latched onto a knock down from Kyle to fire a left-foot shot past Jentsch in the home goal.

Malcolm put Scotland into the lead for the first time in the 86th minute when a Hughes free-kick from the right broke to him in the German box and he stroked it home. But Voigt popped up in the visitors' six yard box to spoil Scotland's party.

Editorial Team

Ger Harley (
Vanderhogg (

Special correspondents
Al McIntosh (